Friday, 6 May 2011

Hearty vegetable and lentil soup

Soup is great- whatever vegetables are in you can whizz them up into a really satisfying and healthy meal in under an hour. This recipe I have used for all sorts of occasions- when I am home alone and fancy some warming soup that I know will store well for a few days after for any leftovers as well as for a starter (or easy lunch with homemade bread) when friends come over.

Chop up 2 onions, 2 peeled carrots, 2 celery sticks and 1 peeled potato.



Fry gently for five minutes in a some vegetable oil (about 2 tablespoons). Then add a litre of hot vegetable stock, 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and 250g split red lentils (washed).



Season to taste, add a few splashes of tabasco sauce and then simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.

 
You can add small soup paste shapes in the last 10 minutes of cooking, or dumplings if you want something more substantial. Enjoy in large bowls with fresh bread for dipping.


Delicious, tasty and filling.

Til soon....

4 comments:

  1. I was wondering what to do with my homemade stock - now I know! Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to make this and some focaccia to fortify my offspring for brownies tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have inspired you. Hope that you enjoyed it. I bet it went well with focaccia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!
    But does the recipe have to have stock in it?
    What else could I flavour the soup with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to use stock. You could just use the tins of tomato soup. Flavour with whatever you fancy- if you want a bit of a kick I like some chopped chilli and grated ginger. Adding some shredded cooked chicken adds a meaty flavour and some more texture. If you need some more liquid with the chopped tomatoes you can add just water to thin it or even some single cream if you want something richer.

    ReplyDelete