Friday, 14 October 2011

Mummy's magic porridge

This isn't a complicated but if I was to give my children the choice of any breakfast in the world they will always ask for this. It's obviously great before school since it is a slow release breakfast and keeps them going through the morning. It surprises me how much my eldest likes it since she isn't a huge fan of dairy and this is full of milk!


I like to use milk when making porridge since I really don't like the taste of it with just water but you can play around with the recipe and do what suits your taste- you can use full fat milk or semi skimmed (or skimmed) or just water or a mix of water and milk.

Begin by putting a quarter of a cup of porridge oats per person into a pan.


 Add to this about 200ml of liquid (milk/water/combination of the two).


You can just make it plain but I like to add a good dusting of ground cinammon and also some sweetness (good dollop of honey/maple syrup/ golden syrup or you can add a spoonful of sugar). You can also add some fruit- mashed bananas, dried fruit, sulatanas, raisins, chopped apple etc.


Give everything a good stir and cook over a gentle heat until it thickens and become a nice soft consistency.


 If you feel that it is too thick at this point add some more milk. Once I serve it into bowls I like to add some more milk at this point (or a bit of single cream if you are wanting it really luxurious!) since that helps cool it down and gives it a smoother consistency.

 

A great start to the day and it's actually quite quick to make so still possibly before the school run! You can also add some fruit at this point.
Til soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment